Sunday, 4 October 2015

i9505 Bootloop On Any ROM (Recovery And Download Mode Accessable)



Guys, care to help me out here? I have this i9505 in front of me. It was brought to me because it would randomly stop playing audio. I noticed that this audio issue only happens after the device wakes up from sleep. No sound at all after wake up from sleep. And Video Playback (SdCard and YouTube) stutter goes along with the problem. Here's what I did to get rid of this issue:

- Factory reset in Samsung Stock Recovery; didn't help.
- Flash stock tar.gz via Odin; didn't help. (Yes, I used the correct one matching my model)
- Flash CM to rule out issues with Samsung specific software/drivers; didn't help

So I concluded that there must be a hardware issue. Since the device looked pretty worn out and sticky, I though maybe dust or something else like a liquid could've destroyed the internals. I dissassembled it but to my surprise it looked very clean. So I reassembled it. Plot twist; now it wouldn't boot anymore. It passes the Samsung splash screen and gets into the Bootanimation. But within seconds into it, it reboots. This goes on and on and on unless I take out the battery. I know what you're thinking, but listen; I disassembled/reassembled almost 70 devices, almost half of which iPhones (Yes, I keep track of it, since I charge people for my work) and chances that I messed up something are very low. Not saying impossible, but you get the point. I exclusively change parts. Dispalys, middle frames, backcovers, batteries, microphones, cameras, microsd/sim trays, you name it*. Anyway.

Now, no matter what I do, I can't boot into the OS. Download Mode, Recovery, be it stock TWRP or CWM just work fine. When I format the internal storage via TWRP/CWM and boot up the device on stock, no folders are created on it. But when I flash a custom ROM, be it TW, CM or AOSP/A, I sometimes get into the OS and the standard Android folder structure is created. But the device is then pretty much unresponsive. I can barely navigate the OS before it shuts down again.

What could be the issue here? What could I have damaged during reassembly to cause these issues? But on the other hand, the S4 has a fairly simple architecture and I use an ESD pad, ESD wrist straps and only use plastic tools to pry off connectors. I even watch the humidity in my room for the record.

I gave this guy a replacement Nexus 5 already after he brought his S4 to me. That's what I usually do when I can't tell how long a "repair" could take. If it turns out that I caused the problem, of course he'll get to keep the device.



No comments:

Post a Comment